Wednesday, June 18, 2008

After 5.Someone and ON@TCC, Chetan Bhagat releases his third book !!

Chetan Bhagat is back with his third book, ‘The 3 mistakes of my life’. Well! I personally do not believe in reading fictions but when it is by Chetan, the IIT, IIM guy, I too don’t want to give it a miss. His first book, Five Point Someone, is the best fiction I have read ever. Trust me, even if you belong to non fiction and biographies gang like me , break your rules and standard once to spare four hours for , ‘Five Point Someone’ and who knows you may never turn back to non fictions.
It is not that I had never read non fictions. I too had my share of non – fictions and romantic love stories during my plus two and college days but by the time I had read some 15-20 novels of the very beloved and most wanted author, Mr. Seldon (Sidney), it was sounding a bit monotonous. When you read SS, one thing which is common to his novel is that the protagonist is always female and the theme is almost same in all his books except a few like ‘Tell me your dreams’ which talks about double personality. These are my personal views and I hope Late Mr. Seldon takes it in the right spirit.
Coming back to Chetan, one fine evening I was completely bugged up with studies as exams were knocking at the door and looking for a break of an hour. I borrowed this book from one of my hostel mates which had become famous by then and Started going through the back cover and preface of it. The preface was so mesmerizing that I could not resist myself from reading the book and it took me little less than four hours to reach the last page. It was a great reading but by the time I had read the book, I realized the cost of doing right thing at the wrong time. Some silly things done at the wrong time make the mischief more interesting but thankfully I was able to manage with studies even though I spent four hours for something which was not meant at that time. ‘Five Point Someone’ is all about college life of an IITian, of how he makes his college days full of fun and ends up landing in the five pointers gang which is considered to be under performing group. Since, the book is about an IITian, this makes it more interesting because I have a special fascination for this talent group. But make sure that you don’t take any inspiration from this book as it is a fiction and not a reality and I keep saying this to my little IITian brother – “Hey! I don’t want to see you in Chetan’s Five Pointers gang.”
His first book was so interesting and captivating that I was dying to read the second book even though my exams were just a week away. But this time, I did not wanted to take any chances and bought his second book, ‘One Night @ the Call Centre’ only after exams. My expectations were very high and but obvious I was expecting it to be better than 5.Someone but frankly speaking his first book remains a benchmark till date.
Although I have completely given up reading non fictions but I don’t want to deprive myself of the pleasure of reading Chetan’s non fiction. His third book, ‘The 3 mistakes of my life’ will be released on May 8th in Mumbai and I am anxiously waiting to enjoy the pleasure. I am pretty sure that this one will definitely live up to the expectations.
Happy selling to Chetan and happy reading to readers!!

3 comments:

SR said...

Nice of you to understand that what Chetan Bhagat writes is fiction. But is that the way he promoted his book? I still remember when is first book was released there was this all furore of how bad ragging is in IIT and stuff like that. I mean if its fiction then why make comparisons? and if its non fiction but a real account then why spice it up with fiction?
Am not against how he writes as l0ong as its fiction but its bad to portray it as real thing. Compare it how you wrote about image if India being destroyed by Slumdog. In this case even when he didnt say anytime that this was real india.
another example: remember the flims about bhagat singh (2-3 came simultaneously). from those films he became a national hero (for a majority, before that hardly anyoen knew him). now tell me what do majority know about him other than what was portrayed in the film? am not saying anything that was shown was incorrect but while making a 'commercial' film he would obviously hide points that are boring but spice up some issues. I remember the case that after the movie many turned anti-gandhi because of the bad light he was shown in the movie.

similarly take the third book which talks about godra riots. 10 years from now people will only know about those riots what is written in that book.

all i am saying is that people should avoid to take up real issues and present it with fictional spicing.

Amit Khandelia said...

See Shashank there is a lot of difference bwn his book and the Real IIT's and the target segment who is reading the book knows it all..

While the movie slumdog is an exaggeration and not non fiction. Every body around the world knows that India has biggest slum in Asia and 2nd biggest in world but do you sincerely believe that this is all that we have to project..Plus, the target audience of this movie is not only educated people unlike the book who know the difference bwn ficion and non fiction..Loads of people who dont know the difference bwn the two are also going to see the movie which is gonna create a wrong picture...

Stay kool..keep writing..

SR said...

this is not the case as i said i personally remember that when the book was released all sorts of questions were raised about ragging in iit and whether people study or not? stuff like that
at that point he should have released a statement and stopped all controversies by saying its a fiction.
similarly with third one. i have read his two books (never read 5.someone) and have enjoyed them (as i said i dont associate fiction with my thoughts) but it would have been nice of him to stop those controversies than to garner marketing support for free.

and all those who are outside engg colleges and that too hostel life cant know the truth other than what is written in the book. and target audience was much more vast than just engg students.